Due to the outcomes of other conference matchup's on Saturday (10/26), men's soccer has clinched a spot in the postseason. If they are able to defeat Pitt Greensburg next Tuesday and Pitt Bradford loses to top ranked Medaille (AMCC: 8-0-1), they will take the number 5 seed. After losing their first three conference matches, the Redhawks have managed to win four of their last six against the AMCC including two straight home wins.
PITTSBURGH, Pa. - The Redhawks put themselves in the postseason picture for the first time all season after defeating a very solid Pitt Bradford team 3-2 on Senior Day. Fittingly, seven of La Roche's nine points in this afternoon's match came from the Senior class. Senior Dante Nicholas led the Redhawks with four points in the contest (1 goal & 2 assists). Today's win is the second straight for the Redhawks. La Roche is now 6th in the AMCC standings with a 4-5 record in conference play. They are currently 1/2 game up on Penn St. Altoona and a full game back of Pitt Bradford. La Roche plays their final game of the season next Tuesday, October 29th at Pitt Greensburg (3-13, AMCC: 2-7). If the Redhawks can win their final game, they will clinch their spot in the conference playoffs.
Seniors Austin Gorman, Peter Kuir, Zack Balobeck, Dante Nicholas, Alex Hudak, Firas Abduljawad, Shane Hector, Ty Savochka, & Samuel Kamagate were all recognized before today's match. The group has combined for 39 goals and 26 assists in their tenures at La Roche.
Final: La Roche: 3, Pitt Bradford: 2
Records: La Roche (6-11, AMCC: 4-5), Pitt Bradford (9-7, AMCC: 5-4)
- Pitt Bradford struck first in today's game in the 10th minute.
- Senior defender Peter Kuir put the Redhawks on the scoreboard in the 35th minute of the match off a ball from fellow Senior defender Dante Nicholas.
- Dante Nicholas would put the Redhawks up 2-1 just two minutes later in the 38th minute off a ridiculous shot from the top of the penalty box that curved into the right side of the net. Senior midfielder Firas Abduljawad recorded the assist.
- The Redhawks would increase their lead in the 75th minute of the match when Junior forward Kyle Harriett snuck the ball into the left corner of the net off a feed from Nicholas.
- The Panthers would make this interesting when they brought the came within one in the 85 minute of the match.
- Sophomore defender Tanner Cook made a crucial defensive save late in the 2nd to hold off Bradford.
- Due to the circumstances of today's outcome, tensions and emotions were high. A total of nine records were handed out (La Roche: 5, Pitt Bradford: 3) and 31 fouls (La Roche: 15, Pitt Bradford: 16).
- La Roche outshot Pitt Bradford 21-19 but were outshot 9-10 in shots on goal.