YOUNGWOOD, Pa. - The men's soccer team won their final regular season game of the season this afternoon at Westmoreland County Community College against Pitt Greensburg in overtime by a final score of 5-4. Today's win is La Roche's third straight and fourth in their last five games. During that span, seven different players have scored a total of 13 goals for the Redhawks. In today's game, all five Redhawk goals were scored by a different player.
Since Pitt Bradford lost in a close match earlier today against number one seed Medaille, La Roche will be the number 5 seed in the AMCC playoffs. An impressive feat for a team that was 8th in the standings less than two weeks ago. The Redhawks will play the loser of tonight's AMCC conference match of the week between Mt. Aloysius (7-2) and Franciscan (7-1-1) in the first round of the playoffs. This season marks the 13th straight La Roche has made the postseason.
Final/OT: La Roche: 5, UPG: 4
Records: La Roche (7-11, AMCC: 5-5), UPG (3-14, AMCC: 1-7)
The Redhawks got off to a hot start in today's game scoring the first three goals of the match less than half way through the first half. At that point in the game, AMCC Defensive Player of the Week Senior goalkeeper Austin Gorman was subbed out after making two saves. The Redhawks would finish the half ahead 4-1, the most goals they have scored in a half all season.
In the second half, the momentum shifted in favor of the Bobcats. Pitt Greensburg scored three goals between the 71st and 81st minutes of the match, the latter two both coming from Bobcat midfielder Dylan Willard. Tied up at 4-4 after 90 minutes of play, La Roche headed into their first overtime game of the season. '
Senior defender Peter Kuir played hero when he scored the overtime game winner less than three minutes into extra time. Kuir has recorded 5 points in the Redhawks last two games (2 goals and 1 assist).
- Senior defender Dante Nicholas scored the first goal of the match in the 10th minute of an assist from Kuir. It is Dante's 6th point in his last two matches (2 goals and 2 assists).
- Freshman forward Jake Gorman scored his 5th goal of the season (T-3rd on the team) off a penalty kick in the 18th minute of the match.
- Sophomore forward Samuel Kamagate scored his 5th goal of the season (T-3rd on the team) in the 20th minute of the match.
- Freshman forward Callen Scharba scored the first goal of his collegiate career in the 32nd minute of the match when he curled a shot from the top of the 18 to the corner of the net.
- The Redhawks outshot the Bobcats 22 to 19.
- La Roche managed to score 5 goals on only 9 shots on goal. The Bobcats took 11 shots on goal.
- 8 yellow cards were handed out in the match (UPG: 5, LRU: 3)