STEUBENVILLE, Oh. - The Redhawks were defeated this afternoon in the first round of the conference playoffs 3-1 by the Franciscan University Barons. Men's soccer headed into the postseason on a three game win streak against AMCC opponents; two of those wins were decided by a single goal. This is the third season in a row La Roche has been bounced out of the playoffs in the quarterfinal. The last time the Redhawks won in the postseason and made the it to semi-final was in 2016. Regardless of today's outcome, the team should keep their heads held high. After starting 1-4 in their first 5 games of conference play, the Redhawks finished the regular season 4-1, keeping their playoff streak alive at 13 years.
Final: #5 La Roche: 1, #4 Franciscan: 3
Records: La Roche (7-12, AMCC: 5-5), Franciscan (13-3-2, AMCC: 7-2-1)
How it Happened:
- The Barons scored the first two goals of the match in the 19th and 39th minutes.
- Freshman forward Callan Scharba struck first for the Redhawks in the 41st minute of the first half off an assist from Freshman forward Jake Gorman. It is Scharba's second straight game with a goal.
- The Barons would strike again in the 59 minute of the match. Franciscan midfielder Sebastian Koehler finished with a game high 5 points (2 goals, 1 assist).
Inside the Box Score:
- La Roche was outshot 21-25 by Franciscan (8-11 in shots on goal).
- It is the first time this season La Roche has lost when taking at least 20 shots (previously 4-0).
- Senior goalkeeper Austin Gorman played all 90 minutes making 8 saves in the match, tied for the third-most he has to make in a single game this season. He finishes his career with 26 wins and 9.5 shutouts (2nd in program history).